There is really only one thing your resume needs to say to a hiring manager. It needs to ask the question “what makes me a better candidate than all the other people who have submitted their resume to this job?” It is important for that to be recognizable and stand out from the crowd. Recruiters spend only seconds with their initial evaluation of a resume so choose your information wisely. Here are some ways you can answer that question.
- What you’ve achieved. Showcase your promotions. If your upward movement was with the same company be sure to spit your roles up along with the dates you held those jobs. If you left a company to go to a position with more responsibility, be sure to indicate the increased requirements in the description.
- What you’ve accomplished. Recruiters like to see tangible results. Did you increase sales by 75% in just one year? Did you save your company over $10,000 by implementing an improvement process? Be specific and provide numbers and data to back up your accomplishments.
- How you’ve been rewarded. Were you ever Employee of the Year? Were you one of only 100 people in your large company to be given a president’s award? Share this information for each of your positions to show that you brought greatness to the table and were recognized for it.
- Your proven competence. Many resume experts suggest you tread lightly on going into detail about your job duties. It is believed that the functions of the job are less important than your ability to outperform your competition. However, you still want to include enough of your experience and background to indicate to the hiring manager that you are qualified for the job.
- Your expertise. Showing that you are competent at the job requirements is not enough, you need to show that you are an expert in that field. Many recruiters like to see candidates who write a blog on their subject. Develop an online brand and begin to write about the things you are most knowledgeable about.
Are you looking for more practical resume advice? Contact the professional recruiters at Meador Staffing and find out how we can help you!